DID YOU KNOW?
Christmas trees are pine trees.
- Pine trees are famous for their Christmas spirit and are used to decorate homes as Christmas trees.
- Pine trees are the only species of trees that reproduce from seeds in a cone.
- There are over 115 pine tree species.
- They can grow in any soil and anywhere in the world.
- They can reach a height of over 3 to 80 metres, but mostly are about 15 to 45 meters tall (in the wild).
- Of the seven continents, pine trees are found to be growing in six continents.
- Pine trees are evergreen trees, meaning that they retain green leaves throughout the year.
- Fully grown pine trees require full sun and very little water to survive.
- Pine trees are ornamental plants and harvested for making furniture.
- One of the oldest surviving trees on earth is the Great Basin Bristlecone Pine that is over 4,840 years old.
- Native Americans made pine needle tea, which is rich in vitamins A and C. It's especially good for those suffering from colds and flu.